Collingwood docks. Photo credit: P. Dumas
After the completion of the railroad connection to Toronto in 1855, Collingwood, on the coast of Georgian Bay in Ontario, Canada, became a hub of passenger and freight traffic from the Toronto area and the east to the United States and western Canada. At one point so many people were flowing through the port that Collingwood had its own American Consulate. The town was renamed in 1854 for Admiral Horatio Nelson’s second in command, Admiral Lord Cuthburt Collingwood. Collingwood’s shipbuilders were internationally renowned in their time, but the “Yard” closed in 1986 and only the massive elevator remains (see above).
Collingwood’s Historic Train Station. Photo credit: P. Dumas
Collingwood Grain Elevator. Photo credit: P. Dumas
View of the Blue Mountains from Collingwood. Photo credit: P. Dumas